Friday, August 3, 2007

I'm not sure i know how to blog

So I never had a blog in the past because I was not sure I'd know what to say. However, now I have a reason for one (not to mention an intern using me as a guinea pig), so I'm going to try. Feel free to keep reading, hopefully I'll figure out how to be entertaining.

The long and short is that I like to raise money for Cystic Fibrosis. When I moved to San Francisco, well scratch that, 6 months after I moved to San Francisco (a girl's gotta get her bearings right?) I connected with the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation Chapter out here and said I wanted to do something. Did they have a deal for me....a Young Professionals Committee AND a stair climb. Plus, I'd get to host my own events leading up the stair climb. Not a bad deal.

Let's back up though, what is Cystic Fibrosis (CF for short and sixty-five roses for those of you wondering how to pronounce it)?
CF is a genetic disease that effects 70,000 children and adults in the US, it is also the largest genetic killer of children in the US. In 1981, parents of babies diagnosed with CF were told their babies' life expectancy was 18 (it's now 35).

Basically, people with CF have thick sticky mucus. This mucus sits in lungs, making them a breeding ground for bacteria and infection. Additionally (there's me using my Google language), the mucus clogs the ducts of the pancreas, causing digestion trouble and for some, diabetes.

Have I caught your attention yet? Why do I care so much about CF? Well, let's just say a close personal friend of mine has been fighting this disease since she was born. She's exceptionally healthy, in fact, most people say she's healthier than they are, and they don't take 14 pills and at least 4 shots a day.

Not to mention, 90 cents of every dollar given to the CF Foundation goes to research. In the past 10 years, the CF foundation located the defective CF Gene, began work on gene therapy treatments and introduced many life saving and life prolonging treatments.

So now I'm raising money, and I'm trying to reach people like you with a blog, a web page, and a really easy way to donate!

No comments: