Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Whites Creek High School:the documentary

On Monday, two weeks before the fin du cycle, the teachers in the Enterprise and Development school received an email, in all caps, with no distinct paragraphs asking us to put together a sub folder in case we are out. It needed to have lesson plans, student rosters, reliable students etc.

Thank you. I get this is important. But maybe it was more important back in SEPTEMBER? Since after all, I am not going to have the same reliable students in just a few weeks, and the kids I have in January will not know (or at least will not be expected to know) half of what is in that folder. Why now?

............

Today in my third block class the door was mysteriously opened by a runaway stranger 3 times, pulling attention away from the whole class. Then said stranger (or maybe another one) decided to put shaving cream or hair goup or SOMETHIng on the window of my door. Once again, disturbing the class and drawing what little attention I had away to the spectacle. "I really need to remember to lock my doors and get something to cover up the window" I thought to myself...

Later, in our faculty meeting, we were asked to make sure we did NOT lock or doors or cover up the windows. Something about creating an open environment at Whites Creek. Something about changing a culture. Something about parents needing to peak in the door. Really? Really? Parents don't peak in the door, and excuse me for being negative--but how many times must my class be disturbed in a day by random hallway walkers/class skippers? I purposely changed the arrangement of my room so that the students were less distracted by the window in the door. Now it's just more obvious when they are looking out it and not the window.

Perhaps the culture will actually change and the gawkers will turn to students and not disrupt my class. Or maybe my class will learn to not be distracted by such silliness. I doubt it.

No comments: