Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Whirlwinds

There is too much going on to sit down and write about it. But I guess for the amount of people I tell about this blog I'd better keep it updated!

First, the first week and a half of work. Great! Our team is fun and friendly and the new office is pretty nice. Very Google, and also very India. Let me explain:

Here is what the entrance to the new 'Omega' building looks like:



Yes, lots of color, openness etc, a nice big Google sign. The most interesting part though, is that pretty round water thing as you are walking up the marble staircase.


Every day a man squats down by this trough and arranges red and yellow flower petals in the water--yes, every day fresh ones.

Next, the elevators and the door to the elevators. If you want to go up, you push up, seems simple enough, but sometimes, when you push up, immediately a down elevator comes. I know what you might be thinking, well, maybe it's on it's way down. Nope. You are actually kind of lucky if the wrong direction elevator comes, at least one comes at all--I've stood there for 10 min waiting for one. I would have just taken the stairs, but apparently that is a no-no since there is debris in them and they are for emergencies only--so much for 10,000 steps a day!

Then there's the cafe--you know how at fairs in the states we eat fried dough and put powdered sugar and stuff on it--yeah, in India, they eat that for breakfast. I stick to the omelet stations--those are yum, now if only I could learn how to say egg whites in Hindi.

All in all, the work environment is great--quirkiness is important and part of the experience right? Thanks to the HYD Checkout team for being so inviting!

No comments: