Monday, August 17, 2009

Eye Opening

Things they try to prepare you for but never really can:

1) Arriving at school at 6:00 am to make copies for class, only to find the doors locked.
2) Finally getting into school and needing to line up to make copies at the 1 Rizo machine in the whole school, we only had blue paper and weren't even sure it was ours to use.
3) Getting in a fight with a 16 year old about whether or not she was disrupting my class and asking her to move seats. Then telling her 'This is not an argument' and having her say, 'yes, so why you arguing with me about it?'
4) Working from 2:30pm-7:30pm on diagnostic tests and lesson plans, only to return to the 1 rizo machine in the building to make all my copies (2 2-page hand outs about classroom culture and 9-page tests for 64 students) only to find it was out of ink. Not to mention that would have taken hours.
5) Paying $65 at Kinkos after a tax free and TFA discount for above copies
6) Arriving home at 9:00pm needing to eat, staple 44 of my tests, make mini lesson plans in case we finish early tomorrow, do my vest (yes I still have CF), pay my bills due this week and get to bed at a reasonable hour so I can do it all again tomorrow morning.

Yes. This is hard. Let's hope it gets better....But I am not so sure, I haven't even planned a real lesson yet!

No comments: