Friday, September 18, 2009

Pep Rallies at 9am

For some reason at Whites Creek we have pep rallies as a morning activity. So today at 8:20am I released my hellians to head down to the gym to get all riled up for the rest of the day.

At the pep rally I realized that those hellians that make my life really hard, who I work for every day and who gave me attitude and act like they know everything about anything in life are really just high school kids.

They are cheerleaders, they are dancers, they they have Cobra spirit. They support their school, their class and their teams. I remember that feeling--that pride I had in Potomac, the excitement of a big game day.

Somehow I got tears in my eyes. It could be because I am tired and overly emotional. It could also be because of that realization, that they are just kids, and I am part of their lives, somehow molding them, guiding them through the tough years of high school. And there is more to their lives than geometry homework.

As I walked out of the gym with a fellow teacher, recounting my day yesterday, he said to me, as much as they have a tough exterior and can talk back and talk tough, inside they are just scared little kids needing guidance and an opportunity to succeed.

No comments: