Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Drowning

Let's step back for a second. I keep talking about my kids--how tough they are to reach, the crazy things they do in class. And yes, that is tough. But let's not forget, that being a teacher, especially a first year teacher, in any school, no matter how motivated or prepared your kids are is really hard.

Think about your favorite class in high school. Maybe the one where the teacher had some cool activity planned every day, handouts to guide you through the lesson, and homework for each day figured out for you at the beginning of the unit, or even week. All of that takes organization, planning and an understanding of where the class has been, and where it is going. Not to mention knowing what you are going to tell your kids and how you are going to tell it so they get it. For every 90 minute lesson I teach, I spend about an hour making a lesson plan, a bellringer, guided notes and homework.

But teaching isn't just lesson planning. I also have to unit plan, so I know what objectives I am teaching every day. And it'd be nice if I printed out these unit plans and handed them to my kids at the beginning of every unit, but I haven't had a chance to do that, not to mention, because my kids can't seem to understand things, I get behind...

Let's add on top of all the planning, all the piles and piles of paper I collect every day. I have 65 students. If I collect just one piece of paper from each of them every day of the week, that is 325 pieces of paper that i need to have my eyes on, check and grade. Oh, and then I need to enter each thing into a grade book.

I think Jen Televik put it best. Imagine getting to work at 6:30am each day, only to be able to actually start working at 2:30 or 3 (depending on who stays for tutoring).

The sad part is doing the above is doing the bear minimum. My classroom isn't fully decorated, the kids are supposed to have jobs they don't have, I need to talk more about a big goal, I need call all 65 parents/guardians. There is also that whole thing called sleep, working out, being with other humans that are not under the age of 18....

TEACHING IS HARD WORK.

Thank a teacher next time you see one.

No comments: